Published: · Modified: by Beth Sachs · As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases · 8 Comments
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with this easy air fryer cheese on toast recipe. With perfectly crispy bread, melty oozy cheese, and best of all, made in minutes in your air fryer, this British classic is the ultimate lunch, after-school snack, or quick and easy dinner.
If you're a fan of cheese on toast, then you're going to love this air fryer version. It's quick, easy, and has a crispy texture that you won't get from a regular grill.
Check out my eBook⭐Easy Air Fryer Recipes⭐ which includes 20 straightforward and easy-to-follow recipes for your air fryer. You'll be a pro at air fryer cooking in no time! Don't miss out, get your copy today!
👩🍳 Love air fryer recipes? Try my easy air fryer cheese toastie next!
- ✔️ Why you'll love this recipe!
- 🛒 Ingredient notes
- 🥄 Equipment
- What is an air fryer?
- 🔪 How to make cheese on toast in air fryer?
- 💭 Expert tips
- 🍴 Serving suggestions
- 📖 Variations
- 🥡 Storage
- ❓ Frequently asked questions
- 😋 More air fryer recipes
- 💬 Comments
✔️ Why you'll love this recipe!
- Making cheese on toast in your air fryer is incredibly quick and easy. You can have the ultimate cheese snack in just a few minutes.
- Pantry and fridge staples are all you need to make this frugal recipe.
- You can use any type of cheese you like and add toppings or seasonings of your choice.
- It's great for a quick snack, a light lunch, or even for a quick dinner.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Bread - You can use any type of bread you like for your air fryer cheese on toast. White, wholemeal, or granary all work well, and you can even use sourdough like in this recipe.
Cheese - For this recipe, extra-mature cheddar cheese is used. However, you can use any type of cheese you prefer, as long as it's a variety that melts well. Gruyere and brie are great options that will give your cheese on toast a different flavour.
Butter - Softened butter is used to spread onto the bread to make it lovely and crispy.
Mustard Mayo - A simple spread made with mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
Which air fryer? I use the Ninja Foodi 5.8 litre Grill and Air Fryer with 4 customisable cooking functions including air fry, roast, bake, and dehydrate!
What is an air fryer?
Air fryers are small(ish) kitchen appliances that operate like a convection oven—except in a smaller, more concentrated space.
The air is circulated at a high temperature and evenly around the food, which makes the food cook more quickly than in a conventional oven (saving energy), and helps give foods a crispy coating without the need for lots of oil and fat.
🔪 How to make cheese on toast in air fryer?
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Preheat the air fryer to 180C (350F).
Two: Place the two slices of bread on a board and butter one side of each slice.
Three: Mix together the mayonnaise and dijon mustard and spread it onto the other side of each slice of bread.
Four: Top with the grated cheese.
Five: Air fry for 4-6 minutes until the cheese has melted and the toast is crispy.
💭 Expert tips
- The buttered sides of the bread should always be facing down and touching the bottom of the air fryer basket to get golden crispy toast.
- If you want to make a healthier version of air fryer cheese on toast, you can use reduced-fat cheddar cheese and a cooking oil spray to spray the bottom of the air fryer basket This will help to reduce the fat content while still maintaining the crispy texture.
- If you don't have grated cheese on hand, you can use cheese slices instead.
- Air fryers can vary in their cooking time and temperature, so it's important to adjust the settings to your liking. Keep an eye on the cheese as it melts to make sure it doesn't burn and adjust the cooking time or temperature as needed.
🍴 Serving suggestions
There are lots of ways you can serve cheese on toast!
With Soup - tomato, pumpkin,roasted swede soup, orparsnip soup.
Pizza friesorhalloumi friesfor a real cheese-fest experience!
Sweet potato friesor bakedcarrot fries.
Or, just serve it on its own as a quick and easy snack!
- For a unique flavour twist, spread a small amount of Marmite on top of the cheese before serving. You could also use Vegemite.
- Instead of using cheddar, try using sliced brie or crumbled blue cheese.
- If you're not a fan of mustard mayo, try swapping it out for red onion chutney. This will add a sweet and tangy flavour to your cheese snack.
- For a heartier snack, add a slice of ham or cooked bacon.
- Spread a layer of pesto on the bread before adding the cheese.
- Top the cheese on toast with slices of fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese. Air fry until the cheese is melted and the tomato is slightly roasted.
Air fryer cheese on toast is best served fresh and hot from the air fryer.
Store - if you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Reheat - pop it back into the air fryer for a few minutes until it's heated through and the cheese is melted again.
Note that the texture of the cheese on toast may change slightly after being stored in the fridge, and it may not be as crispy and fresh as when it was first made.
❓ Frequently asked questions
Can I make this gluten-free?
Yes! Just swap regular bread for gluten-free bread.
What type of cheese is best for cheese on toast?
It's a personal preference, but any cheese that melts well can be used! My favourite is extra mature cheddar!
Can I use any type of bread for air fryer cheese on toast?
Yes, you can use any type of bread you like for air fryer cheese on toast. White, wholemeal, sourdough, and granary bread are all great options.
Can I make air fryer cheese on toast without butter?
Yes, you can leave it out to make a lower-fat version of air fryer cheese on toast.
😋 More air fryer recipes
- Air fryer roast potatoes
- Air fryer cheese scones
- Air fryer tuna melt
- Air fryer turkey toastie
- Cheesy air fryer crumpets
- Air fryer scones
- Air fryer baked camembert
- Air fryer sausages
- Air fryer sausage rolls
Don't forget to subscribe to the newsletter to stay up to date with what's cooking in the Effortless Foodie kitchen! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram too!
5 from 11 votes
Best Air Fryer Cheese on Toast
An easy air fryer cheese on toast recipe with melted oozy cheese & golden crispy bread for the ultimate cheesy snack!
Keyword air fryer cheese on toast, cheese on toast in air fryer
Prep Time 4 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Author Beth Sachs
Metric - US Customary
- 2 Slices of Bread
- 1 tablespoon Butter softened
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 200 g Cheddar Cheese grated
Preheat the air fryer to 180C (350F).
Place the two slices of bread on a board and butter one side of each slice.
2 Slices of Bread, 1 tablespoon Butter
Mix together the mayonnaise and dijon mustard and spread it onto the other side of each slice of bread.
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise, ¼ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
Top with the grated cheese.
200 g Cheddar Cheese
Place the cheesy topped bread slices in your air fryer butter side down, cheese facing up, and air fry for 4-6 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Air fryer cheese on toast is best eaten fresh, straight out of the air fryer.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Best Air Fryer Cheese on Toast
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Tried this recipe?Snap a pic and tag @effortlessf00d on Instagram or Twitter